The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Irene

Our bylaws state all elections shall be decided by a majority vote. It also states in another article "In order for a member to be nominated for any office, they must be present at the mtg or have sent in a written acceptance, unless appointed by the president to fulfill the open duty." My question is.... our treasurer resigned, the pres, vp, & sectretary chose a replacement. If positions are determined by majority vote, is what the officers did correct? When I questioned it, we were told it was done per RONR, however I spent hours today trying to find this and couldn't. HELP

If positions are determined by majority vote, is what the officers did correct?

It is up to your organization to interpret its own own Bylaws. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation. The brief section you have quoted seems to mention something about the President appointing people.

When I questioned it, we were told it was done per RONR, however I spent hours today trying to find this and couldn't.

Well, whoever told you that is making stuff up. So far as RONR is concerned, a vacancy is filled by the same body which elected the position to begin with. Anything different would need to come from your Bylaws.

For annual election, Board of Directors, can the ballot list two parties for the same position as a joint tenancy?

Thus, if one is absent at a meeting the other can still conduct business.

If the rules do not specifically enjoin such, can such be done without by-law amendment?

Only one person can hold a particular office unless your bylaws say otherwise (and RONR strongly advises against having, for example, co-chairs).

No one should be a candidate for membership on a board unless he is able and willing to attend most meetings, just as you should not take a job unless you intend to show up for work.

On the other hand, it might be possible to provide for an alternate board member who would attend if another (any other) member could not. Whether this is advisable, it's too early in the morning to say.

For annual election, Board of Directors, can the ballot list two parties for the same position as a joint tenancy?

Thus, if one is absent at a meeting the other can still conduct business.

Only if authorized in the Bylaws.

If the rules do not specifically enjoin such, can such be done without by-law amendment?

No.

Archived