The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion Order

Guest PJ

Is the order - make a motion, discuss it, vote? Or is it discuss it, make a motion, vote?

Thanks!

Mr. Fish cites the standard 6-step process for regular meetings of the membership or larger boards.

At meetings of "small boards" with about a dozen or fewer members in attendance (if this applies to your inquiry) the rules are relaxed a bit and may allow discussion before motion, and seconds are not required.

At meetings of "small boards" with about a dozen or fewer members in attendance (if this applies to your inquiry) the rules are relaxed a bit and may allow discussion before motion, and seconds are not required.

This is most certainly true. Nonetheless, I have found in my limited experience that even in the small groups, discussion first often leads to everyone expressing an opinion, and then some vague motion coming forward that many members believe supports their particular opinion, and it gets adopted just as informally as the discussion took place. End result: lack of clarity on the exact wording and meaning of the motion.

So as a caveat: even if the rules are (rightly relaxed), be sure you are sticklers for formality as to the wording and stating of the motion. saves heartache later on, IMHO.

This is most certainly true. Nonetheless, I have found in my limited experience that even in the small groups, discussion first often leads to everyone expressing an opinion, and then some vague motion coming forward that many members believe supports their particular opinion, and it gets adopted just as informally as the discussion took place. End result: lack of clarity on the exact wording and meaning of the motion.

So as a caveat: even if the rules are (rightly relaxed), be sure you are sticklers for formality as to the wording and stating of the motion. saves heartache later on, IMHO.

Yes. I'd state that even in the relaxed state of affairs at a small board meeting, nothing in RONR suggests step 5 (particularly the Chair clearly stating the question that is being voted on) or step 6 should be a relaxed as 1-4 might be.

Archived