The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officers

Aliboop

Our HOA has been through 3 Presidents. The last president resigned & the VP was voted on as an "Acting president"/VP. The board didn't want to elect a President with just 6 months term left. I was opposed to this. Our by-laws do state one person shall be allowed to hold more than one office. But that was never voted on. I have never heard of an "Acting President" & it is not an option in our by-laws, master declarations or even mentioned in Roberts rules of Order. Our by-laws state that "the elective officers of the association shall be a President, VP, a Secretary & Treasurer."

Since then this person has resigned. Now with 3 months left & 5 meetings till reelection of officers, they once again do not want to elect a board member to act as President or VP. Meaning we only have a Treasurer & Secretary to represent us at our annual meeting. The Secretary wants the Board to nominate a Chairman Pro Tem. Our by-laws do state, "Vacancies in any office may be filled for the balance of the term thereof by the Board of Directors." Our by-laws make no mention of a Chairman Pro Tem & I feel we should follow what our by-laws say and elect a President & VP at the next meeting ASAP. Can someone please give me some insight on this?

Unless your bylaws specifically say otherwise for the office of president, in the case of vacancy in that office, the vice president automatically becomes president and you have a vacancy in the office of VP.

Unless your bylaws say otherwise, you cannot create the office of acting president. The action by your board is null and void.

-Bob

So am I understanding correctly, regardless of time in this present situation, we should elect a President & Vice President to hold those positions for the remainder of the 3 month/5 meetings until reelections?

Yes, and at any meeting prior to filling those vacancies, you should elect a chair pro tem to preside. But he will only be the presiding officer during the meeting. He is not the "acting president" and he has none of the administrative authority of the president.

Yes, and at any meeting prior to filling those vacancies, you should elect a chair pro tem to preside. But he will only be the presiding officer during the meeting. He is not the "acting president" and he has none of the administrative authority of the president.

And if you do manage to elect a new president at one of these meetings, as soon as the results of the election are announced, the (new) president will take over presiding.

Archived