The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Club committees

Guest C Shumaker

I'm hoping my question is a simple one. Our Club will be taking nominations for it's Officers and Board of Directors tonight. The Club has a couple of sub-committees that plan programs and promote the Club. The current President, who has been "ruling" the club as a dictatorship "do it my way or else." is planning on taking nominations for one of the sub-committees and leaving the other committee up to the new Board. My question: Aren't doesn't filling of positions is sub-committees fall under the jurisdiction of the new Board or can the current President take nominations and place these on the ballot? It has always been my understand that setting up of committees is something handled by the Board and is not considered an elected position. (I recently served as the treasurer of a church board and the board formed committees, without full membership voting, to work under the Board.

Thank you for your response.

Charlene

You have a number of options at your disposal. It sounds as if the president wants his reign to continue after he leaves office and he's doing that by loading the committees with his friends.

First, read you bylaws and see what the term of the committees is and how the membership is named.

If the terms of the committee members expire with the old election, the president's actions will be moot when he leaves office.

Generally appointed members of a (sub)committee can be replaced by appointing other persons to those roles. If they are appointed jobs and he is just apponting those chosen by the club, then you can appont others later.

If the bylaws do not call for those committees, then the new administration can reform them in seveal ways. If the committees are special (or ad hoc) committee, the assembly could discharge the committee (2/3 vote required) and then form a similar committee.

When it gets to the part of electing those committees, you could move postpone it until the next meeting (majority vote required).

-Bob

Archived