The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nomination Committee

Guest Cecelia Graves

Guest Cecelia Graves

As President of a small social and civic club (10 total members), I am faced with a dilemma. It is time for elections and our bylaws dictate the nominations committee will be made up of volunteers. The President cannot appoint volunteers. Three of our members have been disruptive, combative and all efforts to correct the behavior

has failed. Trying to dismiss them is not an option because our bylaws say we need a 3/4 vote to do so. I believe other members are intimidated. The last straw was a comment I heard from a member who did not know I was still within hearing range. She said, "we need to get rid of her." I want this to be an open and fair election but feel these three members cannot serve on this committee in a way that would benefit the club. I don't trust them to be fair and accurate. Is there any way stop them from being on this committee?

As President of a small social and civic club (10 total members), I am faced with a dilemma. It is time for elections and our bylaws dictate the nominations committee will be made up of volunteers. The President cannot appoint volunteers. Three of our members have been disruptive, combative and all efforts to correct the behavior

has failed. Trying to dismiss them is not an option because our bylaws say we need a 3/4 vote to do so. I believe other members are intimidated. The last straw was a comment I heard from a member who did not know I was still within hearing range. She said, "we need to get rid of her." I want this to be an open and fair election but feel these three members cannot serve on this committee in a way that would benefit the club. I don't trust them to be fair and accurate. Is there any way stop them from being on this committee?

All the nominating committee will be doing is nominating a person for each office. Members are then free to make additional nominations. In your organization of ten members, I don't see this as a battle worth fighting.

Anyway, you have to follow the process in your bylaws for selecting members to the nominating committee.

Archived