The Official RONR Q & A Forums

WHAT IS AN AGENT

Guest DOC ZOE

Our By laws state that our votes must be counted and maintained by a pre-approved agent. I maintain that the agent must be independent of the Club members of the NPO. Others on our Board feel that we should select 10 membersto count the votes. What does Roberts Rules say about this.

TIA

Our By laws state that our votes must be counted and maintained by a pre-approved agent.

You have to follow your bylaws. Your organization will have to decide what they mean.

I maintain that the agent must be independent of the Club members of the NPO.

Okay, while you're maintaining, point to the rule that states this.

Others on our Board feel that we should select 10 membersto count the votes. What does Roberts Rules say about this.

RONR dictates that the president should appoint tellers to handle the ballots and tabulate the votes, when ballots are involved. Your organization's bylaws, however, take precedence over RONR and must be followed.

Our By laws state that our votes must be counted and maintained by a pre-approved agent.

I maintain that the agent must be independent of the Club members of the NPO.

Others on our Board feel that we should select 10 members to count the votes.

What does Roberts Rules say about this?

Nothing.

You won't find the word "agent" in in the 700+ pages of RONR [tenth edition 2000].

Since the term is not a parliamentary term, then you are left with a dictionary, and your own wits, to figure out what that term means.

For example:

"Secret agent"?

"A chemical which causes a reaction"?

"Salesman"?

"An employee of an agency"?

"Microorganism causing a disease"?

Nothing.

You won't find the word "agent" in in the 700+ pages of RONR [tenth edition 2000].

It might be a bit more accurate to say that it will not be found in the 643 pages of text in RONR, 10th Edition (as it can be found in three places elsewhere in the book), but never mind, we get the point. :)

Archived