The Official RONR Q & A Forums

HOA's & absentee ballots

robert conway

Should anyone be reading this post that belongs to an Association that has it's membership spread all over and uses absentee ballots....or in person or by Proxy voting a form of absentee ballot.

Be prepared!!!

At a recent annual meeting I tried using RONR (which our bylaws state is the proper rule making..) WOW, the meeting started off with "let's get started" by the Chair. I asked Mr. chairman do we have a quorum. Response was we are counting the ballots now. Excuse me, Mr. Chairman but do we have a quorum? "I told you we are counting the ballots now please sit down". Point of order Mr. Chairman a meeting cannot begin until a quorum declared.

The Chairs parlimentarin responded, your point of order has been taken!! I said I don't believe this is the correct response and who are you? The Chair should respond to my Point of order.

The rest of this meeting was, as you that know, was a big mess. With one member telling me he did not come to this meeting to listen to my crap and sit down and shut up!!! To him RONR is trouble and of course SO AM I, however, will keep on trying to get folks attention.

So my advice is if one is at a meeting that does not have even a semi-experienced Chair of RONR...Stay home.

The BOD was running the show along with the Managment Company.

Kinda makes a person wonder how ballots are accounted for and by who.

Question, if asked of membership. How many proxies do each of you hold do they have to reveal that or is this out of order?

Question, if asked of membership. How many proxies do each of you hold do they have to reveal that or is this out of order?

Such a question will generally be out of order if a question is pending, since it will not be germane to the discussion. Beyond that, you're on your own. RONR prohibits proxies unless they are permitted by the Bylaws or mandated by applicable law, so it doesn't have any advice on how to handle them. See FAQ #10.

Although when he casts ten votes, one would assume the other members can do the math. And might even ask for proof.

Very interesting. How would one find out how many votes were cast by this Pres. When after doing the math, seems like 35+

It is one of those ballots "....the President will vote for you" things.

Just a side note: Sure would be nice for someone to tackle, absentee ballots, proxy voting...how they are recieved and counted like accountability.

Sure would be nice for someone to tackle, absentee ballots, proxy voting...how they are recieved and counted like accountability.

Well, RONR does have some information on mail ballots, but that's a completely different issue from proxy votes. A proxy vote is not an absentee ballot, despite the fact that many people mistakenly use the terms interchangably. As for proxy votes, the rules needed for proxy voting will necessarily vary depending on the circumstances of an organization and applicable law, so there's never going to be a "one size fits all" rule. If your organization desires assistance in developing its own rules for proxy voting, both the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referrals for professional parliamentarians.

RONR's advice is simply to do away with proxy voting altogether, unless it is mandated by applicable law (which it might be, for an HOA).

Well, RONR does have some information on mail ballots, but that's a completely different issue from proxy votes. A proxy vote is not an absentee ballot, despite the fact that many people mistakenly use the terms interchangably. As for proxy votes, the rules needed for proxy voting will necessarily vary depending on the circumstances of an organization and applicable law, so there's never going to be a "one size fits all" rule. If your organization desires assistance in developing its own rules for proxy voting, both the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referrals for professional parliamentarians.

RONR's advice is simply to do away with proxy voting altogether, unless it is mandated by applicable law (which it might be, for an HOA).

Thank you Josh, are bylaws state in person or by proxy voting for director's. This is the help we need will check these site's

marly

Archived