The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Correcting a motion

Guest Carol

At our last Board meeting, we passed a motion to specifically spend $X to purchase something. As it turns out, it actually costs $Y, not $X. Do we have to somehow amend the motion to reflect the actual dollar amount of the purchase? I am quite new to all of this, so I appreciate the help.

At your next meeting, move to amend the previous motion by striking $X and adding $Y. The motion to amend something previously adopted requires a 2/3 vote without notice, majority vote with notice, or a majority of the entire membership.

However, if $Y is less than $X, I'd go ahead and buy the item since I feel approval to spend $50 inclused authority to spend $45.

-Bob

At our last Board meeting, we passed a motion to specifically spend $X to purchase something. As it turns out, it actually costs $Y, not $X. Do we have to somehow amend the motion to reflect the actual dollar amount of the purchase? I am quite new to all of this, so I appreciate the help.

Ideally, yes: see AMEND SOMETHING PREVIOUSLY ADOPTED.

But, casually, you could adopt a motion to the effect, e.g.,

"That the treasurer be authorized to add up to $N to cover the purchase of the piano."

Or,

"That the Gardening Committee be allocated an extra $100 for obtaining its fertilizer."

Ideally, yes: see AMEND SOMETHING PREVIOUSLY ADOPTED.

But, casually, you could adopt a motion to the effect, e.g.,

"That the treasurer be authorized to add up to $N to cover the purchase of the piano."

Or,

"That the Gardening Committee be allocated an extra $100 for obtaining its fertilizer."

Would those motions not be out of order in that they conclift with a previosly adopted main motion that is still in effect? [page 244]

If the new motion passes by the needed majority all would be well but if it falls in the range below 2/3, it should be declared that the new motion fails.

-Bob

Would those motions not be out of order in that they conclift with a previosly adopted main motion that is still in effect? [page 244]

If the new motion passes by the needed majority all would be well but if it falls in the range below 2/3, it should be declared that the new motion fails.

-Bob

Q. In what way would a motion to "add $" or to "allocate an extra $" conflict with a motion with a fixed amount?

You are not changing the fixed amount. That is still authorized.

These "insurance" motions need not be executed at all, if the original values do cover the costs.

When adopted, they do not conflict.

When defeated, they do not conflict.

So how do you figure?

Archived