The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Order/Decision

Guest Jim

Is it possible for a President to pass an executive order/decision when it is to help the general assembly? There is an individual who is no longer a direct member of the general assembly but he has came back and started to pit the general assembly against each other. Thus, I am not sure what I should do to make sure that we take care of the situation correctly. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

Jim

Is it possible for a President to pass an executive order/decision when it is to help the general assembly?

No.

Individuals cannot make official decisions which bind an organization or commit an organization.

A president cannot issue executive orders.

You won't find any of that inside Robert's Rules of Order.

I am sure Stalin, Mussolini, and Hitler, all passed executive orders which they justified as being "for the good of the nation" and "for the welfare of the people."

So that rationale won't fly.

Is it possible for a President to pass an executive order/decision when it is to help the general assembly?

Generally speaking, no, although there are some limited cases in which the chair may act on his own initiative.

There is an individual who is no longer a direct member of the general assembly but he has came back and started to pit the general assembly against each other. Thus, I am not sure what I should do to make sure that we take care of the situation correctly.

Well, it might help if you were a bit more specific about what the individual is doing. I'm not quite clear what you mean by "pit the general assembly against each other." You did say, however, that the individual is no longer a "direct member" of the general assembly. I don't know what a "direct member" is, since in RONR someone is simply a member or not. If the individual is not a member, the assembly may order him removed from the meeting hall by majority vote (for any reason or no reason). The chair may order him removed on his own initiative only if he is being disorderly, and the chair's ruling is subject to Appeal (majority vote to overturn).

If the individual is a member, the assembly may order him removed from the meeting hall by majority vote only in cases of disorder, and the chair may not remove him on his own. Removing a member from the meeting hall is a last resort. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 626-628 for more information for how to handle a disorderly member.

Archived