The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Alternate members of an Advisory Council

Guest Gary McNally

I have been appointed to the "Environmental Advisory Council" as an Alternate Member. I am aware that I am unable to vote unless I am representing one of the board members.

The documentation I received from the County indicates that "I must participate in the discussions and only vote when replacing a regular member". I have had conversations with the "Executive Manager of this County", and he states that "Legal Counsel", and they indicated I was not allowed to participate in anything until "I am replacing a regular member".

The County Operates under "Roberts Rules", and I would like to know the proper procedures under the "Roberts Rules of Order", on the participation of an "Alternate member" of this Advisory Council.

Thanks in advance

Gary McNally

e-mail gary_415@msn.com

The documentation I received from the County indicates that "I must participate in the discussions and only vote when replacing a regular member".

RONR divides the world between members and non-members. There is no middle ground (save for a member under disciplinary sanction). Members have the right to do everything (attend, make motions, debate vote). Non-members have no such rights (though the assembly can permit them to do everything but vote).

So you'll have to look to your own rules for the answers to your questions. Though it would seem prudent to permit alternates to attend meetings should they have to replace a member at some point.

I have been appointed to the "Environmental Advisory Council" as an Alternate Member.

In RONR, there's no such thing as "alternate members" except in the context of a convention. If your rules provide for alternates, it's up to your assembly to interpret its own rules. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 for some Principles of Interpretation. If your rules don't provide for alternate members, then you don't have them.

Archived