The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nomination and Election process halted

tomterrific

I am currently serving on a nominations/elections committee for a small non-profit organization. The leader set our committee in motion to begin accepting nominations and asking us for an election vote on April 11. Yesterday (April 5) the leader asked the nominations process to be halted until a meeting could be held to discuss an issue in the by-laws. Is this proper to halt the nominations/election committee? It was one leader out of a board of 4 that asked for the pause in the process. It seems out of order and I cannot find anything in my copy of the Rules of Order.

Unfortunately our by-law does not officially state an election date or time. The nomination committee was released by our leader to do its job after our small organization passed and accepted a "new" by-law. To further complicate the issue, the leader stated (auditorily after the passage of the by-law) that the leader position would be represented as a husband wife leader. Our by-law only states the word "leader" not plural and no mention about serving as a couple.

So being on the nominations committee, I informed the group by e-mail that our nominations committee would only accept one name for that position on their ballot since that is what our by-law states. I informed the group that we have to let the by-law govern our process.

Now the leader has put a stop to the process since the by-law was not written to accommodate her auditory wish. She now wants to discuss this with the whole group. Do you know where I can find a rules in the Roberts rules of order to support my case?

My thought is let the nomination/election process runs its course and let the new leadership team address the by-law when they take over.

In order to have the option of having "co-leaders" when your bylaws currently provide for a leader, you need to amend your bylaws.

Perhaps a compromise would be to allow the elections to proceed as scheduled, placing one of the two individuals in the position. If the bylaws are amended, you can hold a subsequent election to fill the other position of co-.

FYI, RONR does not recommend having co-anythings. I'm sure there are examples of it working wonderfully but there are a great number of examples where it doesn't.

-Bob

Archived