The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspended member

Guest Jentlesoul

I was informed that a letter was submitted to the chiefs office and I was suspended for 'conduct unbecoming a member'. When I asked for a copy of the complaint or the issues I was being suspended for I was told I was not permitted this information. I was later told it was because they expected me to retaliate towards the complaining member.

We do this all the time and it just seems wrong, how can anyone prepare their case against the hearing (witnesses, e-mails, text messages, photos, etc…) without knowing before hand what their battling?

Form our by-laws:

Section 3 – Hearing

All hearings of charges shall be before the Board who shall hear the charges and if they feel the charges have been substantiated, present their decision to the Corps. membership at the next Regular meeting of the Corps.. If, in the unanimous opinion of the Board, the charges are considered unfounded, no report of such hearing shall be made, except that in any case the member of members who presented the charges shall be notified of the decision of the Board. In any hearing of charges before the Board, the charged member and members making charge must be present and bring anyone to assist in his behalf.

how can anyone prepare their case against the hearing (witnesses, e-mails, text messages, photos, etc…) without knowing before hand what their battling?

That's a good question and RONR devotes an entire chapter (Chapter XX) to disciplinary procedures. But your organization has adopted its own rules so those are the ones that must be followed and which we can't interpret here.

I was informed that a letter was submitted to the chiefs office and I was suspended for 'conduct unbecoming a member'.

In any hearing of charges before the Board, the charged member and members making charge must be present and bring anyone to assist in his behalf.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, it sounds to me like the Board did not hold a proper hearing where you and the complainants were present. Is that correct?

Or, was there a hearing at which you attended, albeit unprepared for the specifics of the "unbecoming conduct" charge?

I was informed that a letter was submitted to the chiefs office and I was suspended for 'conduct unbecoming a member'.

When I asked for a copy of the complaint or the issues I was being suspended for I was told I was not permitted this information.

I was later told it was because they expected me to retaliate towards the complaining member.

We do this all the time ...

!?!?!

...and it just seems wrong, how can anyone prepare their case against the hearing (witnesses, e-mails, text messages, photos, etc…) without knowing before hand what their battling?

From our by-laws:

Section 3 – Hearing

All hearings of charges shall be before the Board who shall hear the charges and if they feel the charges have been substantiated, present their decision to the Corps. membership at the next Regular meeting of the Corps.. If, in the unanimous opinion of the Board, the charges are considered unfounded, no report of such hearing shall be made, except that in any case the member of members who presented the charges shall be notified of the decision of the Board. In any hearing of charges before the Board, the charged member and members making charge must be present and bring anyone to assist in his behalf.

Did your board follow your Section 3 process?

Since your org has its own disciplinary process, then the Chapter XX Section 61 reference in RONR will not likely apply.

You are dealing with you own unique set of rules.

Ask your board representative if the proper bylaws' disciplinary process was followed correctly.

I certainly cannot tell you if your board is in compliance, or not.

Archived