The Official RONR Q & A Forums

POLITICS & AGENDA

Guest CTC-pa

We are a non profit organization. In one of our previous board meetings, the recording secretary noted on the agenda that she is running for public office. I do not feel this was appropriate - Our organization is located in the State of Pa. What if anything should be done about this?

We are a non profit organization. In one of our previous board meetings, the recording secretary noted on the agenda that she is running for public office. I do not feel this was appropriate

Why not? Was she seeking the endorsement of the organization? If so, then placing the question on the agenda might make a lot of sense. When the agenda was up for approval, you could have moved to strike that item. Majority vote to amend the agenda, prior to adoption. Or simply wait until it came up and then speak and vote against it.

Our organization is located in the State of Pa. What if anything should be done about this?

You should probably move to New Jersey.

In one of our previous board meetings,

the recording secretary noted on the agenda that she is running for public office.

I do not feel this was appropriate.

What if anything should be done about this?

What do you mean by the pronoun "this"?

(A.) That the secretary is running for public office?

(B.) That secretaries, in general, ought not run for office?

(C.) That officers of nonprofit corporations, in general, ought not run for office?

(D.) That the secretary put some non-business (i.e., a personal announcement, and not of the organization, which is not a motion) into the agenda?

(E.) That announcements of who-is-running-for-public-office has no business being on an agenda?

(F.) That your nonprofit/tax-exempt status is at risk because your secretary is running for public office?

(G.) That anyone who wins (or who may win) a public office ought not simultaneously serve as a secretary of a nonprofit organization?

(H.) That this particular announcement is an ego trip, a power grab, a slap in the face, and/or a callous disregard for the feelings of others?

(I.) That you know this secretary well, and this secretary would make a bad, corrupt, and/or foolish public servant?

For what it is worth, you got my support for D and E. :)

Q. Do you have a question about parliamentary procedure?

Then don't vote for her. And encourage others not to vote for her. If she's not elected you have no problem. Except maybe explaining to her why you didn't think she couldn't honorably serve in two offices at the same time.

I don't believe that Mr. CTC-pa is suggesting that the Secretary "couldn't honorably serve in two offices at the same time." I believe he is questioning the propriety of placing on the agenda that the Secretary is running for public office. At the very least, I might question how such an announcement is germane to the business of the organization. Depending on the type of organization, there could also be legal issues involved.

Why not? Was she seeking the endorsement of the organization? If so, then placing the question on the agenda might make a lot of sense.

Well, depending on the type of non-profit organization, it may not be legal for the organization to endorse candidates. That could be part of the concern regarding the placement of the item on the agenda.

Well, depending on the type of non-profit organization, it may not be legal for the organization to endorse candidates. That could be part of the concern regarding the placement of the item on the agenda.

Depending, yes. And there are many types of non-profits. I believe political parties are one type.

What do you mean by the pronoun "this"?

(A.) That the secretary is running for public office?

(B.) That secretaries, in general, ought not run for office?

(C.) That officers of nonprofit corporations, in general, ought not run for office?

(D.) That the secretary put some non-business (i.e., a personal announcement, and not of the organization, which is not a motion) into the agenda?

(E.) That announcements of who-is-running-for-public-office has no business being on an agenda?

(F.) That your nonprofit/tax-exempt status is at risk because your secretary is running for public office?

(G.) That anyone who wins (or who may win) a public office ought not simultaneously serve as a secretary of a nonprofit organization?

(H.) That this particular announcement is an ego trip, a power grab, a slap in the face, and/or a callous disregard for the feelings of others?

(I.) That you know this secretary well, and this secretary would make a bad, corrupt, and/or foolish public servant?

For what it is worth, you got my support for D and E. :)

Q. Do you have a question about parliamentary procedure?

Thanks for responding

I realize I need to clarify - we are a 501c non profit youth organization - I am concerned that this information

on our agenda and in our minutes could japerdize our 501C status

I have no problem with her running for political office - but she was requested the support of all board members on election day

Should any action be taken since this private information (that I feel is harmful to our 501C status) was placed on the agenda and in the minutes?

I don't believe that Mr. CTC-pa is suggesting that the Secretary "couldn't honorably serve in two offices at the same time." I believe he is questioning the propriety of placing on the agenda that the Secretary is running for public office. At the very least, I might question how such an announcement is germane to the business of the organization. Depending on the type of organization, there could also be legal issues involved.

You are correct - We are a 501C charitable organization - I believe the inclusion of this information on our agenda and in our minutes to create a problem for us.

I realize I need to clarify - we are a 501c non profit youth organization - I am concerned that this information

on our agenda and in our minutes could japerdize our 501C status

I have no problem with her running for political office - but she was requested the support of all board members on election day

Should any action be taken since this private information (that I feel is harmful to our 501C status) was placed on the agenda and in the minutes?

You are correct - We are a 501C charitable organization - I believe the inclusion of this information on our agenda and in our minutes to create a problem for us.

Thank you for clarifying the nature of your concern. Since your concern is of a legal nature, you should consult with a lawyer regarding whether this could jeopardize your tax status and whether any action should be taken. I would be sure to inform your lawyer about the type of 501C organization (the number in parentheses after the "C"), since there are many different types and the rules on this subject vary significantly depending on the type.

From a parliamentary perspective, I would advise removing the announcement from the minutes. Since it seems no action was taken on the announcement, it does not belong in the minutes. The minutes are a record of what was done, not what was said. There is no parliamentary reason to bother changing the agenda after the session is over (and personally, I'd be inclined to rule such a motion out of order, since the motion adopting the agenda has now been fully executed). Once again, however, check with a lawyer to settle this matter.

Archived