The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting after the ballots have been counted

Guest marsha mack

Guest marsha mack

I am appelaing a Union decision against me. The vote was in my favor and after the votes were finalized other people were allowed to vote "against" me. How do I docuement this using Roberts Rules of Order?

I am appelaing a Union decision against me. The vote was in my favor and after the votes were finalized other people were allowed to vote "against" me. How do I docuement this using Roberts Rules of Order?

RONR permits members to vote after the results have been announced with the unanimous consent of the assembly, but it does not permit members to vote under any circumstances after the next item of business has been announced. So RONR may or may not help your case, depending on exactly when members were allowed to vote. See Official Interpretation 2006-21.

RONR permits members to vote after the results have been announced with the unanimous consent of the assembly, but it does not permit members to vote under any circumstances after the next item of business has been announced. So RONR may or may not help your case, depending on exactly when members were allowed to vote. See Official Interpretation 2006-21.

To vote? Or change their vote?

Since you mention Union, is this a case where there is voting during different shifts, or absentee voting of some sort? Or were all the voting members all together in one room at the same time for voting, in particular during a meeting?

To vote? Or change their vote?

We got into a similar discussion this past March. There was put forth the thought that, within that window after voting results are announced and the next order of business is brought up, you could change your vote (with permission of the assembly, of course) from whatever it was to an abstention, and vice versa. With that in mind, the answers to your questions would be yes and yes.

Archived