The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Elections

Guest LauraR

Elections of our board officers is by ballot. Our bylaws state that if there is only one nominee for an office the ballot vote is supemded and the nominee is elected by unanimous consent. Is this OK? Everything I'm reading in Robert's Rules says that if the election is by ballot the ballot vote can neve be suspended.

Elections of our board officers is by ballot. Our bylaws state that if there is only one nominee for an office the ballot vote is supemded and the nominee is elected by unanimous consent. Is this OK? Everything I'm reading in Robert's Rules says that if the election is by ballot the ballot vote can neve be suspended.

See page 428 at the bottom. If the bylaws say you must have a ballot vote (and that's all they say) then a ballot vote shall you have. If they don't require a ballot vote, or if they do but also include similar language as yours, it simply means that in the case of an unopposed nominee, the chair can declare the nominee elected by acclamation, or unanimous consent. I'm not keen on the language you're providing, but I'd say the intent is clear.

Everything I'm reading in Robert's Rules says that if the election is by ballot the ballot vote can never be suspended.

Your bylaws may very well contain rules which are not in agreement with RONR. In such cases, your bylaws supersede RONR. As hard as it may be to believe, RONR is the low man on the parliamentary totem pole.

Archived