The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motion to demand refund of fees paid to member

Guest Shari

At our next meeting, I will be using my three minutes to address the chair by stating the facts of said board member using the organizations fees inappropriately. At the end of my three minutes, I want to make a motion to have said board member refund the fees paid to him. When I make this motion, I'll need a second and then will there be debate? Do I have to make sure all sides get an equal voice and then do I call for the question or how do I proceed. The person that misused funds will be the chair of the meeting. He's also the president of the organization.

At our next meeting, I will be using my three minutes to address the chair by stating the facts of said board member using the organizations fees inappropriately.

When you say, "using my three minutes," it makes me think you're not a board member.

At the end of my three minutes, I want to make a motion to have said board member refund the fees paid to him.

If you're not a board member, you can't make a motion.

When I make this motion, I'll need a second and then will there be debate?

This motion would be debatable.

Do I have to make sure all sides get an equal voice and then do I call for the question or how do I proceed.

It is the job of the chair to preside over the meeting and enforce the rules of debate. There is no need to "call for the question." The chair will put it to a vote in accordance with the rules.

The person that misused funds will be the chair of the meeting. He's also the president of the organization.

The president should step down during the consideration of the motion, allowing a temporary presiding officer to take the chair.

If you're not a board member, you can't make a motion.

I forgot to add that the "next" meeting would be the annual general meeting. I was under the impression that anyone could make a motion at a general meeting because all in attendence would be "general members" and the board would not be there.

I forgot to add that the "next" meeting would be the annual general meeting. I was under the impression that anyone could make a motion at a general meeting because all in attendence would be "general members" and the board would not be there.

Oops. Sorry. I assumed this was a board meeting. Scratch that part about having to be a board member.

Okay, but it's still not clear what "my three minutes" means. I presume it's a local rule that members may address the assembly on any topic for three minutes, because there's certainly nothing like that in RONR. And then you propose to make a motion at the end, which is rather backwards.

If you were following Robert's Rules, you would have to make the motion and have it seconded first, before anyone would be talking for any minutes at all.

At our next meeting, I will be using my three minutes to address the chair by stating the facts of said board member using the organizations fees inappropriately.

At the end of my three minutes, I want to make a motion to have said board member refund the fees paid to him.

When I make this motion, I'll need a second and then will there be debate?

Do I have to make sure all sides get an equal voice and then do I call for the question or how do I proceed.

The person that misused funds will be the chair of the meeting.

He's also the president of the organization.

You don't (a.) debate, then (b.) make a motion.

According to Robert's Rules of Order, you (a.) make a motion, then (b.) debate.

If there is NO SECOND, you don't debate.

If the targeted person is the chair, then before you do anything, you ought to move to suspend the rules and have the vice-president/vice-chair act as the presiding officer.

If the targeted person is the chair, then before you do anything, you ought to move to suspend the rules and have the vice-president/vice-chair act as the presiding officer.

I don't think that's necessary. You're creating an unnecessary 2/3 hurdle for yourself. And what if it fails?

All that is needed is to make the motion which affects the chair. If the motion is seconded, the chair should then step aside.

I don't think that's necessary. You're creating an unnecessary 2/3 hurdle for yourself. And what if it fails?

All that is needed is to make the motion which affects the chair. If the motion is seconded, the chair should then step aside.

True, although I'd not suspect he would voluntarily. If he were the type to abide by the rules (parliamentary and otherwise) he probably wouldn't be the object of attention in this manner to begin with. As we've often read about here, this type of chair is likely to rule the motion (and maker perhaps) out of order, and even ignore a call for an Appeal. One can hope not, but..... it might be advisable for Guest to secure the support of as many members (2/3 at least?) as possible in advance should it come to Suspending the Rules as noted. (my ruminative two cents)

Archived