The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member Dismisal

pcieluch

My local assocation of Officials has it's by-laws. In it it states RROO are to be used at meeting of the executive board. During the sesson, a official ask a question of the scorer about foul count of players. The AD that night, who was a board member and official of the group, wrote a letter about siting unethical actions of the official. The board gave the official a ten game suspension. In that letter they stated any further such action could be ground for more loss of games, or call for the vote for removal. He returned to complete the season. At the end of the year meeting they had section on the adgenda about dismisals. They wanted to let go a newer officail, non member, based on preformance. After that the chair said "moving on". That's when a voice from the floor asked for the vote of removal on the official who had the 10 games taken away earlier on the season. He lost the vote. Can the motion he made for the vote be done at that meeting or do we have to follow RROO siting Art. XIII section 75 for such actions. are By-Laws stae the following.

III. Member Dismissal

A. Any member who violates any provisions of the LSBA membership requirements, or is

damaging the integrity of the association, will be subject to review by the current Board

members, and if necessary, voted on by the Charter members for dismissal from the

association (a two-thirds vote of the active Charter membership is necessary for dismissal).

B. A vote for dismissal can be taken at anytime during the year, not just at the annual meeting.

Does the prior suspension and letter but the matter to rest, or can the body over turn it in the fashion in which they did? Robert's Rules of Order where mention in the dismsal letter, but it apprears the true rules that govern such actions where never followed.

Thanks for any input you may have:

Peter

While searching on line that is the section I was able to find.

Since you must know the correct section I should be looking at, could you please help me out.

The chapter on DISCIPLINE is Chapter XX (Section 61) in Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised (RONR tenth edition 2000, published by DaCapo).

I was thinking that when the bylaws include provisions for discipline, what Robert's Rules has to say about discipline is of no concern. (That's either Chapter Twenty, "Disciplinary Procedures", in RONR's tenth edition, which Mr. Goldsworthy recommended to you, or its ancient and venerable ancestor, Section 75 from ROR of 1915.) But it occurs to me that what Robert's Rules says might be seen as supplemental to the bylaws' provisions, not "inconsistent" with them. For example, Robert's Rules says that the "accused" must be notified of the charges against him, and have the opportunity to defend himself; but if your rules (the provisions on Dismissal) do not require any of that, then is all that required?

Also note that you can consider your elderly, creaky Section 75 something of a preliminary overview, but don't rely on it. For example, Section 75 says that "a failure [by the accused] to obey the summons is generally cause enough for summary expulsion"; but RONR says, "If the accused fails to appear for trial at the appointed time as directed, the trial proceeds without him."

Archived