The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adjouring and reconvening immediately due to lack of quorum

Guest Aby

Our constitution states"The necessary quorum for the General Body Meeting shall be 300 members. No quorum shall be necessary if a General Body meeting re-convenes after it is adjourned for lack of quorum. On re-convened issues, if there is still lack of quorum, a minimum of 75% majority is required for approval of those issues." However, if we have no quorum, can we adjourn the meeting and reconvene in five minutes and consider it as a re-convened meeting? Will it violate / satisfy the above statement?

However, if we have no quorum, can we adjourn the meeting and reconvene in five minutes and consider it as a re-convened meeting? Will it violate / satisfy the above statement?

I'm afraid it's up to your members to interpret your bylaws (i.e. your constitution). You might want to consider whether what you propose satisfies the "spirit of the law" and not just the "letter of the law".

In the long run, you might want to amend your bylaws to remove, or at least clarify, this option. For one thing, the term "reconvened issues" is pretty sloppy.

Our constitution states"The necessary quorum for the General Body Meeting shall be 300 members. No quorum shall be necessary if a General Body meeting re-convenes after it is adjourned for lack of quorum. On re-convened issues, if there is still lack of quorum, a minimum of 75% majority is required for approval of those issues." However, if we have no quorum, can we adjourn the meeting and reconvene in five minutes and consider it as a re-convened meeting? Will it violate / satisfy the above statement?

It is up to your organization to interpret its own Bylaws. In the long run, however, I would consider changing this rule. If the quorum requirement is too high, the solution is to lower the quorum requirement, not to add weird workarounds.

Archived