The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations from the Floor

Guest JK

We will be having our annual meeting in a few weeks. We will have two positions open on the board, and will be seeking nominations from the floor. If the nominee is not present, can the nominee be called to confirm accepting or declining the position during the meeting if elected?

If the nominee is not present, can the nominee be called to confirm accepting or declining the position during the meeting if elected?

Sure. Though it would be better to know that in advance so you're not faced with an incomplete election should you elect someone who's not willing to serve (and who you're not able to get in touch with for a couple of days). A short note, "If elected I will serve" will do the trick. Whoever plans on nominating an absent member might want to obtain such an assurance.

Better to be able to say, "I nominate John Smith who, unfortunately, couldn't be here today but has assured us, in writing, that, if elected he will be honored to serve" as opposed to, "I nominate Bill Jones. I know most of you don't know him as he hasn't been to any meetings in five years but I've got his home phone number (at least it used to be his home) so we can call him if he wins".

[Though, technically speaking, you should probably wait for the debate before sharing that additional information.]

Archived