The Official RONR Q & A Forums

motions

kdjsd

Our organization has a document called "a few reminders about motions" Basically it guides you through how to word a motion if it comes from an individual, committee, board, etc. We have heard that one area might be incorrect and I've been trying to find the answer in Robert's Rules. No luck on my part. So here is what we say. After the Board approves a motion by an individual, the motion presented at a regular meeting should read, "The Board approves and I move...." We are now being told that it should read "I move and the Board approves" Does any have the correct procedure.

Kathy

Our organization has a document called "a few reminders about motions" Basically it guides you through how to word a motion if it comes from an individual, committee, board, etc.

We have heard that one area might be incorrect and I've been trying to find the answer in Robert's Rules.

No luck on my part.

So here is what we say.

All this background (of how you got no answer) is fluff and a distraction.

Just ask the question, not the reason behind your previous failures in finding an answer.

After the Board approves a motion by an individual,

the motion presented at a regular meeting should read,

"The Board approves and I move....".

We are now being told that it should read

"I move and the Board approves".

Does any [of the above] have the correct procedure?

No.

Boards do not make motions.

You never mention WHO APPROVED when making a motion.

The wording should ALWAYS be, "I move ..."

However, you CAN say, "On behalf of the board, I move."

But to repeat, you don't say "X approves," while making your motion.

You won't find that phraseology in The Book. And I assume you are asking a question about Robert's Rules of Order.

Whoever drafted your document, "A Few Reminders About Motions," didn't base his rule on anything in RONR Tenth Edition 2000.

All this background (of how you got no answer) is fluff and a distraction.

Just ask the question, not the reason behind your previous failures in finding an answer.

The background Kathleen provided explains the reason why she is asking the question that she asks, not (as you erroneously claim) the reason behind her "previous failures in finding an answer." Her explanation was (and is) quite helpful in understanding her question.

You owe her an apology.

Does any(one) have the correct procedure.

It sounds to me that if you want to make a motion at a meeting, you would have to submit it to the Board in advance for their review and (hopeful) approval before you would be allowed to make your motion. That is not the RONR procedure. In RONR-land, at a meeting, when New Business comes up, you just simply make your motion (after you properly obtain the floor, of course).

This idea that you need the Board's approval for your motion, and that you must apparently give them "credit" in the making of it, is not out of Robert's Rules.

Our organization has a document called "a few reminders about motions" Basically it guides you through how to word a motion if it comes from an individual, committee, board, etc. We have heard that one area might be incorrect and I've been trying to find the answer in Robert's Rules. No luck on my part. So here is what we say. After the Board approves a motion by an individual, the motion presented at a regular meeting should read, "The Board approves and I move...." We are now being told that it should read "I move and the Board approves" Does any have the correct procedure.

If you are referring to a motion which the board is recommending for adoption, the correct wording would be "By direction of [or "on behalf of"] the board, I move..." See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 497-498 for more information.

I suspect the reason you have had difficulty finding information on this subject is because boards are often authorized to take action directly rather than making a recommendation to the general membership, and thus the sections on boards have little information about making recommendations. In some cases, boards will act more in the nature of committees and so the rules pertaining to committee reports (RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 493-512) will be the place to look.

It sounds to me that if you want to make a motion at a meeting, you would have to submit it to the Board in advance for their review and (hopeful) approval before you would be allowed to make your motion. That is not the RONR procedure. In RONR-land, at a meeting, when New Business comes up, you just simply make your motion (after you properly obtain the floor, of course).

This idea that you need the Board's approval for your motion, and that you must apparently give them "credit" in the making of it, is not out of Robert's Rules.

Based on the second sentence of the original post, I suspect the question is about a motion which "comes from" a subordinate board.

Based on the second sentence of the original post, I suspect the question is about a motion which "comes from" a subordinate board.

Well, the second sentence - "Basically it guides you through how to word a motion if it comes from an individual, committee, board, etc" - does mention board, as well as individual, so could be either or.

Archived