The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VP Resignation

Guest Jim

This is going to get a bit hard to undertsand i am afraid but, let me see if i can explain it. Our clubs bylaws clearly spell out that the election of the VP (and others) is to be held each May at a general Membership meeting. The bylaws further say that in a previous meeting, a Nominating Committee will be voted on by the General Membership to find nominees for this (and other) positions. That committee is to then present the nominees to the General Membership (usually in the form of a post card, email and/or, newsletter) at least 7 days prior to the election.

Our current situation is that the VP has already resigned his position and our bylaws state the if the VP resigns, we must hold another election to fill that vacancy. We have a number of people that are saying since this is a special election, there is no need for a nominating committee and no need for a 7 day notice to the general membership of any nominees.

Any help? Our club bylaws can be found at the club website, www.brokenarrowsoccerclub.org. The 4 paragraphs at the top of page 6 describes the process of the original election and of the special election.

Any help would be appreciated.

Any help would be appreciated.

You should know we don't do bylaws here, and you would be advised to read pages 570-573 (RONR 10th Ed.) for some principles of interpretation to help figure out what to do. That said, I'd agree with "a number of people."

Question, if I may: Do you ever hold elections for President? (hint: I'm thinking no, but you tell me :))

No, we do not elect a President. Our by laws provide for electing a Vice-President who will serve on the board for a term of two years (or until his successor is elected). His first year he serves as 1st VP of the club. His second year he is to serve as President. It also says that if the President resigns during his term, the VP moves to President and (as in our current situation) there shall be an election for a new VP.

One of my concerns is that we have had a VP or President resign a total of 5 times in the past 15 years. In each and every case, we have went through the process of the nominating committee finding nominees, presenting them to the memebership and then holding a special meeting for the purpose of electing a new VP. Since we have done it this way time and time again, does that constitute precedence or, as I have read here many times, "just because it has been done in the past does not mean it is right"?

One of my concerns is that we have had a VP or President resign a total of 5 times in the past 15 years. In each and every case, we have went through the process of the nominating committee finding nominees, presenting them to the memebership and then holding a special meeting for the purpose of electing a new VP. Since we have done it this way time and time again, does that constitute precedence or, as I have read here many times, "just because it has been done in the past does not mean it is right"?

I'd say you are dealing with custom, not precedent, the former being practice engaged in over time, the latter more in line with what might come from a ruling of the chair.

Your bylaws define how to handle this situation, and it is different than a regular election. Whether that means the nominating committee gets involved is a matter of interpretation that may ultimately need to be decided by the membership.

Archived