The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes

Guest Cindy Caldwell

Guest Cindy Caldwell

I'm the chairperson of our Administrative Council for our church (United Methodist Church). Do the minutes of the previous meeting need to be approved, i.e., a motion made to accept the minutes as read, second made, and vote taken or corrections noted and then a motion made to accept the minutes as corrected, second made, and vote taken. I've been told that it is not even required to have the minutes approved. Thanks for the help

I've been told that it is not even required to have the minutes approved.

You been done told wrong. :o

The RONR preferred method is that the minutes of the previous meeting are read by the Secretary, and the chair asks if there are any corrections. These most often are handled by unanimous consent, meaning no one objects to the correction(s) offered, but if there is a dispute, a majority vote settles it. After all corrections, if any, have been handled, the chair simply announces the minutes approved (as corrected).

There is no vote taken, although that is not completely out of order. But -- what would happen if the vote was defeated??? Hmmmm... well, I guess.... er, um.... that is...... why, I don't know!

If the minutes have been distributed in advance to all members, the reading of them may be skipped over, but by the demand of a single member they must be read.

Archived