The Official RONR Q & A Forums

conflict of "rules"?

midged79

Our community theatre bylaws state that we must have our annual meeting during the monthly meeting held on the 2nd Monday of June. We elect several officers/board members at this meeting. A notice went out to some members via e-mail and most members regular mail. The regular mail stated that members must be in attendence to participate in the vote. I only received the regular mail notice and questioned the "must be in attendence". I looked up our by-laws which stated that members DO NOT need to be in attendence. Two days later the president of the board was notified and he said the treasurer would take care of it. I received the mail on Tuesday, notified the president on Friday and the meeting was scheduled for Monday. Nothing was mentioned on our web-site, Facebook page, e-mail, phone or newspaper. The board decided that the meetings scheduled date pre-empted the incorrect language of "must be in attendence". The election was held and most of the members did not have their vote counted because they couldn't be "in attendence". Was the board correct in holding the elections or should it have been post-poned until correct atendence language could be sent out?

Our community theatre bylaws state that we must have our annual meeting during the monthly meeting held on the 2nd Monday of June. We elect several officers/board members at this meeting. A notice went out to some members via e-mail and most members regular mail. The regular mail stated that members must be in attendence to participate in the vote. I only received the regular mail notice and questioned the "must be in attendence". I looked up our by-laws which stated that members DO NOT need to be in attendence. Two days later the president of the board was notified and he said the treasurer would take care of it. I received the mail on Tuesday, notified the president on Friday and the meeting was scheduled for Monday. Nothing was mentioned on our web-site, Facebook page, e-mail, phone or newspaper. The board decided that the meetings scheduled date pre-empted the incorrect language of "must be in attendence". The election was held and most of the members did not have their vote counted because they couldn't be "in attendence". Was the board correct in holding the elections or should it have been post-poned until correct atendence language could be sent out?

Unless your bylaws state otherwise, it was quite correct of them to say that only members in attendance may vote. Absentees are not permitted to cast votes, except by mail ballot since there is no concept of a meeting when there is a mail ballot.

I looked up our by-laws which stated that members DO NOT need to be in attendence.

This statement confuses me. I wouldn't mind if you clarified it for me.

Absentees are not permitted to cast votes, except by mail ballot since there is no concept of a meeting when there is a mail ballot.

It sounds like you're saying absentees can't cast votes unless they do it by mail ballot. Is that what you're telling jemrie6?

Archived