The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice of Amendments

Guest Stu Gibson

The manual that our Board has adopted requires members to submit amendments to a motion at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting at which the motion will be considered. Roberts contains no such restriction. Which rule governs?

The manual that our Board has adopted requires members to submit amendments to a motion at least 48 hours in advance of the meeting at which the motion will be considered. Roberts contains no such restriction. Which rule governs?

I'm going to wager RONR, as I suspect the board's rule was not properly adopted, but to say for sure I'll need more facts.

• Is this a subordinate or stand-alone board?
  • If this is a subordinate board, do the organization's rules authorize the board to adopt its own rules of order?
  • By what vote was the rule adopted and how many board members were present?

I'm going to wager RONR, as I suspect the board's rule was not properly adopted, but to say for sure I'll need more facts.

• Is this a subordinate or stand-alone board?
  • If this is a subordinate board, do the organization's rules authorize the board to adopt its own rules of order?
  • By what vote was the rule adopted and how many board members were present?

This is an elected public school board, with the authority under the state constitution to adopt it's own governing procedures. This rule was adopted unanimously at a meeting at which a quorum was present.

This is an elected public school board, with the authority under the state constitution to adopt it's own governing procedures. This rule was adopted unanimously at a meeting at which a quorum was present.

Well, good thing I asked for follow-up questions. Based on these facts, it seems the rule was properly adopted, and it supersedes RONR.

Archived