The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Statues

wildlady

We have a committee of 5 people and had our first meeting and elected Chair and Secretary and the Secretary did not take any minutes so my question was what we discussed and elections any good or will we have to do it again? She has since turned her paper work into someone and resigned. The members are picked by elected officials. I took notes we had a motion and other things we talked about so what do we do now?

We have a committee of 5 people and had our first meeting and elected Chair and Secretary and the Secretary did not take any minutes so my question was what we discussed and elections any good or will we have to do it again?

The fact that minutes were not taken does not affect the validity of the motions - particularly since committees do not generally take minutes.

I took notes we had a motion and other things we talked about so what do we do now?

Committees generally do not take minutes in the formal sense of the term, as the official records for a committee are the reports it gives to its parent assembly, and informal notes are typically sufficient for the committee's internal records. If the committee is fine with using your notes for the committee's records and to prepare any reports, RONR certainly has no problem with it.

Archived