The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Robert of Bylaws; who prevails?

msdpolich

Do the rules made in an organizations bylaws trump Roberts Rules of Order? Im in the midst transitioning to being a parlimentarian and I want to be sure which is the 'higher power'.

I am using an outdated Roberts Rules edition (another thing Im in the midst of trying to get a newer version) so if you could site your response; that would be great.

We are on like the 11th version now a days right? Or atleast it will be released soon.

Thanks for your time. I apprecaite it.

RONR is only an authority for your organization if your bylaws say it is. "How your organization ..."

Unless your bylaws contain an unusual rule, your bylaws are always of higher authority than RONR because 1) your bylaws themselves say so and 2) RONR says so [page 16]

The most current version of RONR is the 10th edition but the 11th edition will be released at the end of this month and it will be effective then for organizations whose bylaws say they have adopted "the most recent edition of RONR".

-Bob

RONR is only an authority for your organization if your bylaws say it is. "How your organization ..."

Unless your bylaws contain an unusual rule, your bylaws are always of higher authority than RONR because 1) your bylaws themselves say so and 2) RONR says so [page 16]

The most current version of RONR is the 10th edition but the 11th edition will be released at the end of this month and it will be effective then for organizations whose bylaws say they have adopted "the most recent edition of RONR".

-Bob

Hello Bob. :)

Im having troubles explaining to my group that the bylaws are a higher authority above roberts rules. Any suggestion on how to make that make sense? That the rules are a guide but the bylaws are final decision maker?

What section are you referring to; when you say 'page 16'? Im trying to find some dialogue in my version.

Thanks again! I hope to hear from you soon!

Im having troubles explaining to my group that the bylaws are a higher authority above roberts rules. Any suggestion on how to make that make sense? That the rules are a guide but the bylaws are final decision maker?

What section are you referring to; when you say 'page 16'? Im trying to find some dialogue in my version.

Thanks again! I hope to hear from you soon!

Page 16 is in Section 2 of RONR (10th ed). Check line 8 through 14. If you don't find it there, you probably have the wrong book.

If I were trying to explain why the bylaws ALWAYS superscede RONR, I'd make several points.

First of all, why would it be any other way? After all, your organization should be able to decide for itself which rules shall and which ones shall not apply to you. No nationally published book could possibly understand all the history of decisons that makes your organizat8on unique. But you do - to at least a better extent - and so you should make your own rules. If you want special names for your officers, that's your choice. If you want amendments to the bylaws to require a 3/4 vote with two readings and printed notice, that's your decision and RONR will not interfere. And if RONR said it was superior to your bylaws, why would anyone adopt it?

Next your bylaws are superior to RONR because your bylaws say so. Read the section cited above on adopting RONR as your parliamentary authority. It says RONR only applies when it is not inconsistent with the bylaws.

That will do for a start. I'm sure you've got it right but let us know where this is confusing to them.

-Bob

That the rules are a guide...

I'd also caution you against this thinking. If your organization has adopted RONR as its parliamentary authority, it is effectively a collection of rules that apply just as your bylaws do but where not inconsistent with them. What RONR includes for rules of parliamentary procedure are just as binding as your bylaws in cases where they do not conflict. RONR is not a list of suggestions, it is the rule book, supplemental to the rules in your bylaws.

Archived