The Official RONR Q & A Forums

filling vacancy on board

Guest Marie

I am the treasurer on a church board. At our most recent meeting, one of our members at large gave us his resignation due to health reasons. He has suggested we replace him with his wife who is more than willing to serve. I cannot find any bylaws but one board member said, "Roberts Rules of Order states that the President has the authority to replace a board member who has resigned." Where does it say that? I cannot find it. Our Pastor who is the chairman of the board, is reluctant to make this appointment as he doesn't want to overstep his authority.

I am the treasurer on a church board. At our most recent meeting, one of our members at large gave us his resignation due to health reasons. He has suggested we replace him with his wife who is more than willing to serve. I cannot find any bylaws but one board member said, "Roberts Rules of Order states that the President has the authority to replace a board member who has resigned." Where does it say that? I cannot find it. Our Pastor who is the chairman of the board, is reluctant to make this appointment as he doesn't want to overstep his authority.

RONR doesn't say that. Check your bylaws for any provisions for filling vacancies. If the bylaws are silent, the body that elects the position is responsible for filling its vacancy. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 279, l. 21-29.

Archived