The Official RONR Q & A Forums

executive commitee

ironman848

I am assuming from your post that the executive committee has recommended that the membership meeting approve an assessment against a member who damaged property.

When the recommendation from the executive committee is presented to the membership, it will have the status of a main motion. Since it is coming from a committee of more than one member, it does not require a second. The motion is debatable, can be amended, and requires a majority vote for passage.

-Bob

We had a vote at the executive commitee meeting regarding money. from what i know it has to be approved by the body at the regular meeting. as the chair how do i present it, as a question or motion or what. and this is in regards to a member paying for damaged property, can he vote on this with the body.

I worry about answering this with more context, but probably the correct thing to do is for the committee to report with a recommendation for the parent body. The reporting member should move the adoption of the recommendations after reading the report. This motion does not require a second if the committee contains more than one member.

We had a vote at the executive commitee meeting regarding money. from what i know it has to be approved by the body at the regular meeting. as the chair how do i present it, as a question or motion or what. and this is in regards to a member paying for damaged property, can he vote on this with the body.

Any authority granted to the executive committee will be in the bylaws. If the executive committee has the authority to act on behalf of the organization in this matter, approval from the assembly of the society is not necessary, unless so stated in the bylaws or by an act of the assembly.

If the EC doesn't have the authority to act, it could present a recommendation in its report.

If the recommendation or the act needing authorization is contained in a report, action from the assembly on the matter would be in order following the reception of the report.

No member can be compelled to refrain from voting, but see RONR (10th ed.), p. 394, for circumstances under which a member should not vote.

Archived