The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Member teturns to club after 15 yrs for a scholarship

Guest diana

I don't know how to fine the correct answers for this problem. A member returned to our woman's club after 15 yr. She was only a member for 1 yr and barely came to all meetings. She never had a committiee and co chaired. Now her child is graduating and she wants a scholarship. I feel it is not fear since she is not attending meetings or helping with any committiee. Where is it written that we must give her child a scholarship? We already have 3 children to give scholarships too. Is this fear to give less to these 3 students who's parent have been members for years? These other parents also do allot for club.

I feel I am being taken as a fool not to know the rights or rules. Can anyone help me fine the correct answers?

Where is it written that we must give her child a scholarship?

It isn't written in RONR. The book has nothing to say about scholarships. You'll need to check what your organization's rules say.

Is this fear to give less to these 3 students who's parent have been members for years?

So far as RONR is concerned, it is up to the assembly to decide, by majority vote, whether to award the scholarship. Your organization's rules may provide otherwise. RONR does not have an opinion on whether it is fair, although that could certainly be an issue to raise in debate.

Can anyone help me fine the correct answers?

Well, we can't. The answers (if there are any) would be in your organization's rules regarding the scholarship. If your rules are silent on these questions, then it's up to the assembly to make the decision.

I don't know how to fine the correct answers for this problem. A member returned to our woman's club after 15 yr. She was only a member for 1 yr and barely came to all meetings. She never had a committiee and co chaired. Now her child is graduating and she wants a scholarship. I feel it is not fear since she is not attending meetings or helping with any committiee. Where is it written that we must give her child a scholarship? We already have 3 children to give scholarships too. Is this fear to give less to these 3 students who's parent have been members for years? These other parents also do allot for club.

I feel I am being taken as a fool not to know the rights or rules. Can anyone help me fine the correct answers?

Robert's Rules won't tell you who gets a scholarship. That's up to your organization and its rules.

Archived