The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is this in the nature of a rule of order

Guest John

In my organization, the right to choose the next president is rotated among the 6 divisions, with each one getting their nominee, who serves for a year. The bylaws say that "the division next in order shall name the president for the following year."

My question is whether this is in the nature of a rule of order and could, therefore, be suspended by a 2/3 vote.

In my organization, the right to choose the next president is rotated among the 6 divisions, with each one getting their nominee, who serves for a year. The bylaws say that "the division next in order shall name the president for the following year."

My question is whether this is in the nature of a rule of order and could, therefore, be suspended by a 2/3 vote.

At first blush, I would say no, since there's no indication that this has anything to do with a meeting and thus would not be a rule of order. Your bylaws need to be read as a whole, however, and not just a sentence at a time.

That said, if it is something like two divisions wish to exchange turns in the rotation, there's no reason they couldn't independently agree to nominate the person selected by the other, or--if they have the power to delegate--even delegate the power to nominate to each other.

Dan Lynch has it spot on. Clearly the rotation of the presidency is a matter of the organization's business -- and just as clearly, it does not take place in a meeting. (That's on p. 15 of my old book, one of the copies generously donated around 2001 by Jonathan and George. Per Dr Stackpole's formula, that's on p. 15.453 in you Illuminati's copies of the 11th.)

Archived