The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Citing Roberts Rules and a question about Table of Motions

Guest Jackson

Hello. I have two questions. I am using the 10th edition of Roberts Rules of Order.

If someone wants to cite something in Roberts Rules, how do you do that? For example, if I want to refer to some text in Chapter V The Main Motion §10, Treatment of Main Motions, would I write “RONR V §10 Treatment of Main Motions, 23-26” (line numbers 23-26) or something else? The line numbers must change when new editions come out.

The Table of Rules Relating to Motions at the end of my book is very helpful. Am I right that there are several other possible motions that could be made that aren’t included in the table, or is it necessary to make your motion fit into one of the motions included in the table? For example, I noticed that in IV §9, in the section on executive sessions, it reads “A motion to go into executive session ...” which seems to indicate that a motion is needed for this, but I didn’t see such a motion listed in the table. It seems like a motion should be made in this situation, but since it isn't in the Table at the end, how could I refer to such a motion in the book?

Thank you.

Hello. I have two questions. I am using the 10th edition of Roberts Rules of Order.

If someone wants to cite something in Roberts Rules, how do you do that? For example, if I want to refer to some text in Chapter V The Main Motion §10, Treatment of Main Motions, would I write “RONR V §10 Treatment of Main Motions, 23-26” (line numbers 23-26) or something else? The line numbers must change when new editions come out.

The Table of Rules Relating to Motions at the end of my book is very helpful. Am I right that there are several other possible motions that could be made that aren’t included in the table, or is it necessary to make your motion fit into one of the motions included in the table? For example, I noticed that in IV §9, in the section on executive sessions, it reads “A motion to go into executive session ...” which seems to indicate that a motion is needed for this, but I didn’t see such a motion listed in the table. It seems like a motion should be made in this situation, but since it isn't in the Table at the end, how could I refer to such a motion in the book?

Thank you.

In the first few pages of the book, you'll find a guide for citing the book. It looks like RONR (11th ed.), p. 5, l. 15.

Not every motion fits into the chart in the back of the book. Executive Session is a question of privilege, which means it can be introduced under the motion Raise a Question of Privilege, and once it is raised, it is a main motion.

Archived