The Official RONR Q & A Forums

acceptance of reports

Guest Mary

If I make a motion to accept a report that contains action items, and the motion carries, have the report and the action items been adopted, or has the report alone been accepted, making it necessary to bring forth another motion to adopt the action items contained within the report?

It would be better procedure to adopt the recommendations and place the report on file. Adopting the report menas you have approved everything therein and that is not usually something that's a good investment of your gruop's time.

Of course, ther emight be some times when that IS appropriate, but do you really want people moving to "amend page 29, line 25 by strking 'may' and inserting 'shall' " when that doesn't affect the recommendations?

Some organization get in the mode of voting to accept all reports and it's really silly when you think about it. Adopt the recommendations and file the report.

-Bob

If I make a motion to accept a report that contains action items, and the motion carries, have the report and the action items been adopted, or has the report alone been accepted, making it necessary to bring forth another motion to adopt the action items contained within the report?

Read every word of RONR (11th ed.), p. 508.

If done properly:

1.) You adopt the (adoptable) recommendations of a report, as moved.

(Example: You wouldn't adopt the raw facts of the report, like the sentence, "Our committee met Friday October 14th." -- because that sentence has no meaningful consequence upon adoption or rejection, so you aren't to entertain raw facts as if they were true motions. Any motion whose consequence is identical whether adopted or rejected is probably dilatory, and therefore probably out of order.)

2.) You do not adopt a report as a whole (under most circumstances).

3.) Thus, you do not adopt that which was not moved (i.e., that which is not an adoptable action item).

Exceptions to #2 do exist.

But so do black swans and blue moons, and we see them about as often!

Oh! And if you do not do it properly, then I don't know what you will have done!

You are on your own to sort out that mess.

Archived