The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who Can Make a Motion

POCO

At our last membership meeting, our Treasurer had the floor to present the organization's annual budget. After explaining it, she called for a motion to accept the budget, called for a second, asked for discussion (none) and then asked for the vote. Some members criticized her and me (maybe correctly) and said that only the Presiding Officer (me) can take those actions. They said I should have stood at that point and called for the motion. Please help me understand the process I should have followed.

At our last membership meeting, our Treasurer had the floor to present the organization's annual budget. After explaining it, she called for a motion to accept the budget, called for a second, asked for discussion (none) and then asked for the vote. Some members criticized her and me (maybe correctly) and said that only the Presiding Officer (me) can take those actions. They said I should have stood at that point and called for the motion. Please help me understand the process I should have followed.

Those members are correct; for a summary of your responsibilities as presiding officer, grab a copy of RONRIB and read it cover to cover, and get a copy of The Right Book to use as a reference and to look up more complicated matters.

You should not turn the chair over to the person presenting a report. You're still the presiding officer. This is a common mistake, though, especially when the reporting individual is inclined to take charge.

After the individual presented the report, you can say, "Thank you.". This is a good, simple technique for reclaiming the floor. For most reports, you would then ask if there are any questions.

However, the presentation of a budget for adoption may not be the same thing as a presentation of a report. I'll assume the proposed budget was a recommendation from the report of a committee, though. In that case, the reporting member should move its adoption.

To clarify: The Treasurer is an Officer and the Budget was presented as approved by the Board of Directors and recommended to the Membership for approval. The Membership were given a copy in advance both during prior meeting and by e-mail. The Treasurer's Report was presented separately from the Budget. The question presented concerns the Budget and the correct way to obtain a motion.

Thank you for your help and advice.

You should not turn the chair over to the person presenting a report. You're still the presiding officer. This is a common mistake, though, especially when the reporting individual is inclined to take charge.

After the individual presented the report, you can say, "Thank you.". This is a good, simple technique for reclaiming the floor. For most reports, you would then ask if there are any questions.

However, the presentation of a budget for adoption may not be the same thing as a presentation of a report. I'll assume the proposed budget was a recommendation from the report of a committee, though. In that case, the reporting member should move its adoption.

To clarify: The Treasurer is an Officer and the Budget was presented as approved by the Board of Directors and recommended to the Membership for approval. The Membership were given a copy in advance both during prior meeting and by e-mail. The Treasurer's Report was presented separately from the Budget. The question presented concerns the Budget and the correct way to obtain a motion.

Thank you for your help and advice.

The treasurer, if he's a member of the assembly, should make the motion on behalf of the board. It does not require a second.

Particularly helpful to read in this connection is RONR (11th ed.), p. 453, ll. 18-25. Although the reference is to the mistake of allowing a committee chairman to preside over the assembly during consideration of the committee's report, the principle applies equally to allowing the Treasurer to preside over the assembly during consideration of the budget.

Archived