The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officer removal questions beyond FAQ #20

Guest Mister Bob the Tomato

Guest Mister Bob the Tomato

Hi all...

Some of this may not be relevant but I want to lay the whole thing out to be clear.

An Officers Meeting of our parent volunteer group was recently called. I am the group's Secretary. The stated purpose of this meeting (via all emails prior to the meeting time) was to discuss my handling of a large event we promoted - to which there was much disagreement.

The actual purpose of the meeting, after a bit of skirting the issue, was the other Officers asking for my resignation as Secretary. The Bylaws and Constitution of the group do not have a provision for removal of an Officer (nor of a general body Member). In fact, since I was the one who recently revised them, they were asking me which Bylaw would apply when I told them they'd have to vote me out (that was a bit awkward). There is, however, a basic provision that any vote of the simple majority stands. So, knowing that it would be helpful to see the Bylaws in front of you which I cannot do at this time, let me ask:

1. Without a specific removal clause, a simple vote is enough?
  2. Meetings have always followed a loose interpretation of Robert's Rules, including motions, etc., but this meeting was more of a glorified chat. No minutes were taken and there was no motion to remove me. More of a general head-nod around the room.
  3. Without notice of the meeting's actual intent, two Officers Ex-Officio were not present. While they cannot vote, is it not inappropriate to have this meeting without their involvement?
  4. Also without notice of the intent, was the removal of an Officer appropriate?

Please answer what you can. Thank you for whatever insight you may offer.

Bob

You've mentioned that your questions go beyond FAQ #20, but that's not completely correct. Certainly, the answer to your question #1 is contained in that FAQ. I'll take a stab at the other three points, with the understanding that I am providing information about RONR, and not necessarily helping your specific case.

2. This is not a question.

3. Members must receive notice of meetings, unless the meetings are regularly scheduled in the bylaws. The concept of a "non-voting member" is alien to RONR. Whether or not those individuals have the right to receive notice of meetings is something that needs to be specified in your bylaws.

4. If the meeting was a regular meeting, any business of the assembly can be transacted. If it was a special meeting, only business mentioned in the call of the meeting can be transacted.

I can't attach any parliamentary significance to "any vote of the simple majority stands." If this is an indication of the general condition of the language of the bylaws, I doubt that this forum will be able to provide you with a valid answer.

However, you should check the bylaws to see if an "assembly of officers" has the authority to remove an individual from office or do anything.

Archived