The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy vs. Designee

YouDidWhat

I have never seen this before, and can't seem to determine what the difference would be between a Proxy and a Designee in the instance of these Bylaws. Would it be only a Proxy can vote, and not a Designee? Or does "full rights of participation" include the right to vote? Very poorly written, and these will be fixed, but at the moment this has to be figured out as written. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you:

"PROXIES: Proxy votes are authorized only at Board of Director and Executive Committee meetings. Proxy votes mean an individual carrying a valid proxy authorization may cast a separate ballot for each Affiliate as applicable during roll call votes. The President of each Affiliate may in writing give either a blanket vote authorization or an individual issue vote authorization to any other voting member of the Board of Directors except the President.

"DESIGNEES: The President of each Affiliate may authorize any member in good standing, except the President, to represent them at any Board of Directors meeting. Such designee shall have full rights of participation in the meeting."

I would guess (and this is just a guess) that a "proxy" here refers to giving your vote to someone else on the board who already has his own vote, thus giving that other member more than one vote, while a "designee" refers to giving your vote to a person who is not already a member of the board, thus making him essentially become a member of the board in your place.

I would guess (and this is just a guess) that a "proxy" here refers to giving your vote to someone else on the board who already has his own vote, thus giving that other member more than one vote, while a "designee" refers to giving your vote to a person who is not already a member of the board, thus making him essentially become a member of the board in your place.

That would be my guess as well, but, of course, it is up to the organization to determine the meaning.

Archived