The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Club by-law changes

Mike T

Our club of 20 members needs to update our by-laws. I want to propose that the revised by laws go out to the membership with change bars together with a separate sheet

listing all the changes separately. There are only about seven changes. The membership would vote on each change separately; a majority on each item

would approve incorporation of same. Is this fair and proper?

Our club of 20 members needs to update our by-laws. I want to propose that the revised by laws go out to the membership with change bars together with a separate sheet

listing all the changes separately. There are only about seven changes. The membership would vote on each change separately; a majority on each item

When a complete new set of bylaws is being proposed, you don't vote on each item that differs from the current bylaws. However, the proposed revision, while pending, is amenable by a majority vote.

In other words, if no motion is adopted to strike content from the proposed revision, the content stays in, and the whole thing goes to a vote for approval.

The membership would vote on each change separately; a majority on each item

You'll need to follow the rules in your existing bylaws for their amendment. You might find, for example, that a two-thirds vote is required.

Mr.T. says, "There are only about seven changes".

I got the sense that a new document, which would be a substitute for the current bylaws was to be sent to members with seven parts highlighted that differ from the current bylaws.

My sense could certainly be off on this.

(That's funny; I always thought Mr. T says, "I pity the fool...")

Archived