The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Officers

Guest Eric

When a person is duly elected to the office of president by the delegates for a one year term, and 4 months into the term, the person must resign due to health reasons, would this person be considered a past president?

I think he would be a past president if he resigned after five minutes.

When a person is duly elected to the office of president by the delegates for a one year term, and 4 months into the term, the person must resign due to health reasons, would this person be considered a past president?

You should know that the status of "past president" has no parliamentary significance, as far as the rules of RONR are concerned.

If your bylaws designate an office of "Past President," your bylaws will need to define the parameters of that office.

Can you think of a reason why he wouldn't be considered a past president? He was president and now his presidency has (or will soon be) past.

Note that few on this forum think it a good idea to give any (automatic) official role to the (immediate) past president (which, presumably, your organization does). RONR certainly assigns no such role.

Trina and Mr. Poe

Actually, it's Mr. Guest.

And, yes, I saw how close we came to a trifecta. In my own defense, I usually cycle through about a dozen CAPTCHA codes before finding one worth guessing at, and then usually have only about a 1-in-5 chance of guessing right. One "tip" is to wait for one with two numerals. Three is even better, but very rare.

As you suggest, I'll try to do better next time.

Archived