The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Privileged Motions Treated as Main Motions: Why?

BryanSullo

I'm reading my way through RONR/11, and I'm a little confused about the distinction made regarding several of the privileged motions being treated as main motions when they are made when no other business is pending.

I get the fact that if the motion to adjourn (for example) is made while other business is pending, it's privileged, and that if it's made while no other business is pending, it's a main motion. That just seems to flow from the logical fact that if it didn't interrupt anything, the maker used no special privilege to make the motion. What I don't understand is why the distinction (privileged/main) is made at all in such a case. Is the motion somehow treated differently when it's moved as a main motion?

Just to clarify . . . I understand why these motions are privileged (when they are) just not why they are not privileged (when they are not).

I'm reading my way through RONR/11, and I'm a little confused about the distinction made regarding several of the privileged motions being treated as main motions when they are made when no other business is pending.

I get the fact that if the motion to adjourn (for example) is made while other business is pending, it's privileged, and that if it's made while no other business is pending, it's a main motion. That just seems to flow from the logical fact that if it didn't interrupt anything, the maker used no special privilege to make the motion. What I don't understand is why the distinction (privileged/main) is made at all in such a case. Is the motion somehow treated differently when it's moved as a main motion?

Just to clarify . . . I understand why these motions are privileged (when they are) just not why they are not privileged (when they are not).

The key element in being a privileged motion is that it can interrupt pending business, so, when no business is pending, it doesn't need to be privileged.

However, you may want to rethink your post concerning Adjourn being a main motion when no other motion is pending. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 234, ll. 9-30 for the instances where it is treated as a main motion.

The key element in being a privileged motion is that it can interrupt pending business, so, when no business is pending, why would it need to be privileged?

Well, yeah. I know. That's only logical. But RONR seems to make a big deal out of that fact. Since attention is called to the distinction, it seems like there's something more to it. I feel like I'm missing some crucial point.

Well, yeah. I know. That's only logical. But RONR seems to make a big deal out of that fact. Since attention is called to the distinction, it seems like there's something more to it. I feel like I'm missing some crucial point.

Okay, the crucial point is that the Standard Descriptive Characteristics change. Meaning that the motion becomes debatable or amendable, etc.

RONR seems to make a big deal out of that fact. Since attention is called to the distinction, it seems like there's something more to it.

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but it seems that one important distinction is that, as a privileged motion, it's not debatable but, as a main motion, it is. (?)

Archived