The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a board limit who speaks and how long they can speak at a General Meeting

Guest Nadine Catalano

Guest Nadine Catalano

Recently, I attempted to bring new business to the floor and the President would not let me speak, as she said the meeting had run too long and she was aware of the subject and did not want to open it up for discussion. I then spoke with her via phone and she ask me to address the board with my concerns that we had $18,000 in reserve and only are committed to $2,200 in scholarships each year. I sent a letter to our board, as I was una​ ble to attend the meeting that I felt we should form a committee to discuss how to spend/donate some our excess funds, along with suggestions from other club members. The president stated at the next club meeting (I was unable to attend), that they had a sign up sheet for all who wanted to address this issue, and they would "be called upon to speak" at the January meeting with a 4 minute time limit. There was not discussion. Can the board do this, or should there be an open debate and also a motion to limit time of debate and discussion that would be approved by the members at the January meeting. Our bylaws do not have a clause limiting debate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Unless your bylaws give your board unusual powers, the board has no role or authority at a general membership meeting. The whole idea of signing up in advance to speak in debate is meaningless, as is the decree that there will be a 4 minute limit on each speaker.

The board, as board, is not present at meetings of the general membership -- the general membership is a different assembly, and is in charge of its own meetings.

Even if one assumes that the silence of the assembly constituted consent -- at that previous membership meeting where the president laid out these terms of participation for the January meeting -- it would not be proper to constrain the freedom of action of a future meeting in that way.

Recently, I attempted to bring new business to the floor and the President would not let me speak, as she said the meeting had run too long and she was aware of the subject and did not want to open it up for discussion. I then spoke with her via phone and she ask me to address the board with my concerns that we had $18,000 in reserve and only are committed to $2,200 in scholarships each year. I sent a letter to our board, as I was una​ ble to attend the meeting that I felt we should form a committee to discuss how to spend/donate some our excess funds, along with suggestions from other club members. The president stated at the next club meeting (I was unable to attend), that they had a sign up sheet for all who wanted to address this issue, and they would "be called upon to speak" at the January meeting with a 4 minute time limit. There was not discussion. Can the board do this, or should there be an open debate and also a motion to limit time of debate and discussion that would be approved by the members at the January meeting. Our bylaws do not have a clause limiting debate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If a MEMBER makes a motion and it is seconded, the presiding officer must place it before the assembly, unless he is obliged to rule it out of order.

This refers to a member of the group that is meeting. If it is a board meeting, only board members have the right to make motions.

RONR does not give the president the authority to limit debate; only the assembly can do that, by a two-thirds vote.

The board has no control over a meeting of the general membership, except to the extent specifically provided in the bylaws.

Thank you very much for your responses. I am new to Roberts Rule and my thoughts and research mirrored the responses, but am unsure of myself. I have ordered several other books than the Official guide to hopefully assist me in the learning process. Any other suggestions for self learning?

Thank you very much for your responses. I am new to Roberts Rule and my thoughts and research mirrored the responses, but am unsure of myself. I have ordered several other books than the Official guide to hopefully assist me in the learning process. Any other suggestions for self learning?

Reading "Roberts Rules In Brief" and asking questions on this site are the best introductory steps you can take.

The two books you want are the Right Book and the one that Tim mentioned (the yellow one at the bottom of that page).

The board, as board, is not present at meetings of the general membership -- the general membership is a different assembly, and is in charge of its own meetings.

I've seen this many times on this forum. Can you provide me the RONR reference? I know I'm going to need it in an upcoming membership meeting. Thanks

Archived