The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion from the floor at a general membership meeting

Guest Tom McGlinchy

At the annual membership meeting of my organization a member, after discussion on an issue, attempted to introduce a motion on the issue for a voice vote of the general membership. My organization's by-laws allow for new business on the agenda of the annual meeting and are silent on the issue of formal inclusion on the agenda. A board member who is the head of the legal committee opined that the motion could not be considered since it was not formally listed as an item on the agenda under new business. The motion was denied. Was this correct?

At the annual membership meeting of my organization a member, after discussion on an issue, attempted to introduce a motion on the issue for a voice vote of the general membership. My organization's by-laws allow for new business on the agenda of the annual meeting and are silent on the issue of formal inclusion on the agenda. A board member who is the head of the legal committee opined that the motion could not be considered since it was not formally listed as an item on the agenda under new business. The motion was denied. Was this correct?

No.

Archived