The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations & Votes

Guest confused

I am confused as I was at a meeting of the membership for our organization in which votes were due to take place. Nominations were last month from the floor and the vote was taken four weeks later as per our bylaws<copied and pasted below>

1. Open nominations for officers and directors shall be at the October regular meeting. Annual elections will be held at the November meeting of the General Membership.
  2. The officers and directors shall be elected by ballot of voting members only to serve for one year or until their successors are elected, and their term of office shall begin January 1st and end December 31st. A majority vote wins.

At the meeting a motion was made to reopen nominations and followed by a second. It was presented to the membership for voting and there was a 2/3 majority vote reopen. According to ROR was this process handled correctly?

Also, members of the general membership made claim that Executive Board members could not vote to reopen nominations, is that indeed correct?

I am confused as I was at a meeting of the membership for our organization in which votes were due to take place. Nominations were last month from the floor and the vote was taken four weeks later as per our bylaws<copied and pasted below>

1. Open nominations for officers and directors shall be at the October regular meeting. Annual elections will be held at the November meeting of the General Membership.
  2. The officers and directors shall be elected by ballot of voting members only to serve for one year or until their successors are elected, and their term of office shall begin January 1st and end December 31st. A majority vote wins.

At the meeting a motion was made to reopen nominations and followed by a second. It was presented to the membership for voting and there was a 2/3 majority vote reopen. According to ROR was this process handled correctly?

As far as RONR is concerned, nominations may be reopened by a majority vote. The question as to whether or not your bylaws preclude the reopening of nominations is a question for your organization to decide.

Also, members of the general membership made claim that Executive Board members could not vote to reopen nominations, is that indeed correct?

No, it is not correct as far as RONR is concerned. All members of the general membership may vote at general membership meetings regardless of whether or not they are also Executive Board members.

Archived