The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation by Board of Directors President

Guest Pat Markham

My apologies. I guess what I am asking is what is the procedure for removing an officer and does there have to be just cause?

Since you have departed from RONR in terms of the process for removing someone from office, you have to follow your bylaws. Admittedly, that excerpt from the bylaws seems to give the BOD very sweeping powers to remove officers, and by majority vote at that. No formal procedure seems to be described (unless it is somewhere else in the bylaws).

There is nothing that forces an organization to adopt 'fair' bylaws -- whatever you adopt is what you have to live by, since the bylaws supersede the rules in RONR.

My apologies. I guess what I am asking is what is the procedure for removing an officer and does there have to be just cause?

In your case, based solely upon what you have posted, it would appear that all that is necessary is the adoption (by majority vote) of a motion to do so. By adoption of such a motion, the board is effectively declaring that, in its judgment, the best interests of the association will be served thereby.

Since you have departed from RONR in terms of the process for removing someone from office, you have to follow your bylaws. Admittedly, that excerpt from the bylaws seems to give the BOD very sweeping powers to remove officers, and by majority vote at that. No formal procedure seems to be described (unless it is somewhere else in the bylaws).

There is nothing that forces an organization to adopt 'fair' bylaws -- whatever you adopt is what you have to live by, since the bylaws supersede the rules in RONR.

Thank you. I appreciate it very much.

I think I saw another response on this thread earlier.

At any rate, other members of the same organization who may have their own questions/opinions about the situation would do best to start a new topic. Posters on the forum can only respond to facts as they are presented. Disputes between different people posting about the same situation never end up being very productive.

I mention this, since Pat Markham, in post #18, mentions that a link to this thread is now posted on his organization's website.

Archived