The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Updates to Meeting Minutes

bgreen

I take meeting minutes for 2 organizations. One holds meetings monthly and the other holds meetings every other month. During either or these meetings, questions may be asked without anyone in attendance having an answer during the actual meeting but the question(s) may be taken by myself or others in attendance to find an answer. If answers are learned, updates are entered to the minutes so that when copies of the mintues are sent out to these groups, the members know the answer(s) instead of waiting for the next official meeting. Is it ok to add updates to meeting minutes answering questions that couldn't be answered at the time of the meeting or is this totally taboo? Thank you.

Is it ok to add updates to meeting minutes answering questions that couldn't be answered at the time of the meeting or is this totally taboo?

Taboo.

The minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting, not what was said before, during, or after the meeting.

I take meeting minutes for 2 organizations. One holds meetings monthly and the other holds meetings every other month. During either or these meetings, questions may be asked without anyone in attendance having an answer during the actual meeting but the question(s) may be taken by myself or others in attendance to find an answer. If answers are learned, updates are entered to the minutes so that when copies of the mintues are sent out to these groups, the members know the answer(s) instead of waiting for the next official meeting. Is it ok to add updates to meeting minutes answering questions that couldn't be answered at the time of the meeting or is this totally taboo? Thank you.

Such things do not belong in the minutes. The minutes are not a message board to the members. They are a record of what was done in a meeting.

Agreeing with the other posters regarding the contents of the minutes.

However, presumably nothing prevents you (the secretary) from sending out a separate informational document, with answers to questions left hanging at the last meeting -- that's assuming the assembly would like the secretary to do so, and that the secretary is agreeable.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived