The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Treasurer Nomination not accepted

treas123

I am a current treasurer of a condo association. We recently held elections and no one else ran for the position. Am I required to be treasurer for the incoming year or can I resign and thus leave the position vacant and/or require another board member to fulful the treasurer duties until the position is filled and/or appointed?

Am I required to be treasurer for the incoming year or can I resign and thus leave the position vacant and/or require another board member to fulful the treasurer duties until the position is filled and/or appointed?

You may resign. The resignation technically must be accepted, although as a practical matter they can't force you to do the job (the option of refusing a resignation is generally reserved for when an assembly wishes to discipline an officer instead). If you resign, then when the resignation is accepted the position will be vacant until it is filled.

I am a current treasurer of a condo association. We recently held elections and no one else ran for the position. Am I required to be treasurer for the incoming year or can I resign and thus leave the position vacant and/or require another board member to fulful the treasurer duties until the position is filled and/or appointed?

You, of course, can resign.

However, whether you are still 'current treasurer' depends on a couple of things. Were you actually re-elected? When you say no one else ran, does that mean that the members voted for you; or that no one ran for the office at all and that no election for treasurer took place? If there was no election, check the description of the term of office. If it includes the phrase 'until a successor is elected' then your term does continue until the election of another treasurer. If the term is just 'two years' or 'January 1 through December 31' or something of that sort, then you stop being treasurer at the end of the defined term even if no one else has been elected.

Archived