The Official RONR Q & A Forums

What is the guidelines to reopening a motion that was passed

Guest Sandy Kasson-Dick

Guest Sandy Kasson-Dick

I am the secretary of the Old Time Farming Festival in Centerburg, Ohio. Recently we had tabled a situation to discuss at a later time. At our last meeting we had a vote on the amount of donations that we were giving out to the community. The tabled issue was about someone asking for a donation but this was not part of our list of donations that we presented at our last meeting because it was never untabled for discussion. One of the members decided to take it upon himself to include this matter without discussion. It is believed that most members did not realize that this tabled subject was included and then was voted on then passed. Our question is can the officers or organiztion open this matter back up to have theproper discussion. Any suggestions will be truely helpful thank you.

Our question is can the officers or organiztion open this matter back up to have the proper discussion.

Assuming the money hasn't already been spent, a member could make a motion to amend (change) the previously adopted motion. A two-thirds vote will do the trick.

Guest Sandy Kasson-Dick

Thank you for the information it will be very useful. Can you tell me where if any in the Robert's Rule book that any of this can be found as I know it will be asked how I know this information. Thank you for your time it is highly appreciated.

Recently we had tabled a situation to discuss at a later time. … The tabled issue was about someone asking for a donation...

It appears that the assembly is misusing the motion to Lay on the Table (commonly referred to as "tabling"). This is certainly the most misused motion in the history of history, so don't feel too bad about it.

The purpose of the motion to Lay on the Table is to set a pending question aside temporarily when something else of immediate urgency has arisen or when something else needs to be addressed before consideration of the pending question resumes. The motion to Lay on the Table cannot be qualified in any way, such as by setting a later time for considering the question.

If it is desired to postpone the consideration of a question to a later time, the motion to Postpone to a Certain Time should be used. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 179-191.

Archived