The Official RONR Q & A Forums

by- law admendment

dndhart

Our by-laws were amended that absentee members may vote on the passing of resloutions and elections of officers by ballot by mail seven days prior to the meeting.

Would this include a special meeting (all be it illegal) to oust the president. Some members believe they have to vote none the less in order to stop the witch hunt.

An opinion based on your bylaws would require a complete reading of your bylaws, which is beyond the scope of this forum. You may want to contact a parliamentarian to review your governing documents.

Our by-laws were amended that absentee members may vote on the passing of resloutions and elections of officers by ballot by mail seven days prior to the meeting.

Would this include a special meeting (all be it illegal) to oust the president.

While I agree with Mr. Wynn that it is ultimately up to the organization to interpret its own Bylaws (see RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation), I think that as a general rule, it is safe to assume that when the Bylaws use the term "meeting" it refers to a properly called meeting.

Some members believe they have to vote none the less in order to stop the witch hunt.

Well, I don't believe it would harm anything for the members to cast their vote - indeed, if the vote to oust the President fails, the question of the validity of the meeting or of the absentee ballots would become moot.

Archived