The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Has the judge lost his mind

Guest HARRY541

At our last meeting a motion was made and seconded. After some discussion the one that second the motion withdrew the second then the chair said it died for lack of a sceond. Is this right? Can he withdraw his second, or did the motion become the proptey of the body.and a vote taken?

After some argument our Judge made a motion to let him whitdraw the second and it was seconded and voted on this went on. Before the chair ruled that it died for lack of a second. Has the judge lost his mind or is it me? The chair tried to straighten it out but it is not clear to me.

Thanks Harry

At our last meeting a motion was made and seconded. After some discussion the one that second the motion withdrew the second then the chair said it died for lack of a sceond. Is this right? Can he withdraw his second, or did the motion become the proptey of the body.and a vote taken?

After some argument our Judge made a motion to let him whitdraw the second and it was seconded and voted on this went on. Before the chair ruled that it died for lack of a second. Has the judge lost his mind or is it me? The chair tried to straighten it out but it is not clear to me.

Thanks Harry

After debate has begun, a second is immaterial. See RONR (11th ed.), p. 37, l. 9-16.

At our last meeting a motion was made and seconded. After s ome discussion the one that second the motion withdrew the second then the chair said it died for lack of a sceond. Is this right? Can he withdraw his second, or did the motion become the proptey of the body.and a vote taken?

Thanks Harry

If by 'discussion' you mean that the assembly had started debating the motion, it is too late to withdraw a second. Yes, the motion is essentially the property of the body at that point, and the seconder has no unique power to kill the motion. I'm not clear what your 'Judge' is or what his/her authority is. However, the action of withdrawing a second, once debate has started, is meaningless, even if it was (for some odd reason) done via a motion to allow the withdrawal of the second.

The majority can vote to allow the motion maker to withdraw a motion -- perhaps the Judge got confused and extended this mechanism to withdrawing a second?

Archived