The Official RONR Q & A Forums

VP Resignation

Guest Dean Lindeman

Election just took place three weeks ago. new VP resigned last week. The Sec./Trea. just learned how to do the job in the last 3 weeks. Nothing in the constitution about filling vacancies. ????

I'm not sure how the plight of the secretary/treasurer plays into it...?

Anyway, if the bylaws/constitution are silent on filling vacancies, the vacancy in the VP office should be filled by an election (conducted by the same body that elected the person in the first place). Prior notice is required

"In the case of a society whose bylaws confer upon its executive board full power and authority over the society's affairs between meetings of the society's assembly without reserving to the society itself the exclusive right to fill vacancies, the executive board is empowered to accept resignations and fill vacancies between meetings of the society's assembly." [RONR 11, p. 467]

For us optically challenged readers:

"In the case of a society whose bylaws confer upon its executive board full power and authority over the society's affairs between meetings of the society's assembly without reserving to the society itself the exclusive right to fill vacancies, the executive board is empowered to accept resignations and fill vacancies between meetings of the society's assembly." [RONR 11, p. 467]

Thank you for pointing out the relevant citation (a change in the 11th edition which I had not yet noticed :mellow: ). And here it is on the list -- point 96.

My apologies for the incorrect answer I gave earlier.

I wonder, though -- does the new language mean such a board must exercise its power to fill the vacancy, or could the board choose to leave that vacancy-filling decision to the general membership (as may have the custom in the organization for years, and as was previously required under the parliamentary authority adopted by the organization)?

I wonder, though -- does the new language mean such a board must exercise its power to fill the vacancy, or could the board choose to leave that vacancy-filling decision to the general membership (as may have the custom in the organization for years, and as was previously required under the parliamentary authority adopted by the organization)?

I would take it to mean that the Board has the authority to accept resignations and fill vacancies, but that that authority is not stripped from the society either. If the Board won't/doesn't fill the vacancy, the society can.

I don't think that unless the society retains exclusive rights to filling vacancies that they have given up that right. From the same page, ll. 25-28 give this power to the electing body (the general membership, in this case, we assume) unless the bylaws say otherwise, which they do not in this case. So the citation simply shares the authority with the Board if the cited language (full power and authority, etc) is included in the bylaws, which we don't know either.

Archived