The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Interpretation of parentheticls

Guest Aaron Taggert

It's true that the definition in parentheses contained in the excerpt that you posted does not align with the parliamentary definition of "majority."

However, the collective mass of words in your bylaws IS binding on your organization, whatever they are determined to mean, and it's up to your organization to decide the meaning. Note that, if the meaning of a bylaw is clear, the organization cannot change that meaning through interpretation; a bylaw amendment would be required to alter the meaning.

It's true that the definition in parentheses contained in the excerpt that you posted does not align with the parliamentary definition of "majority."

However, the collective mass of words in your bylaws IS binding on your organization, whatever they are determined to mean, and it's up to your organization to decide the meaning. Note that, if the meaning of a bylaw is clear, the organization cannot change that meaning through interpretation; a bylaw amendment would be required to alter the meaning.

Tim - amending the bylaws is the ultimate resolution, but what about p. 588 l. 34 - p. 589 l. 1?

Can we interpret majority as more than half or is the parenthetical binding?

Binding, yes, as noted, though I suspect the times when it will make a difference will be few and far between. And since your "majority" is slightly higher than RONR's, it only means that a very close vote is slightly more likely to result in defeat. In short, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

I give up. What about it?

The last sentence of my response in post#2 is based on the principle contained there.

Okay. I guess I was just trying to offer some clarification to Guest_Aaron on what "and it's up to your organization to decide the meaning" meant (i.e. majority vote in the case of ambiguity). I surely wasn't suggesting your reply was in error. :)

Archived