The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board members omitted from Bd notice, etc.

Guest Pat

Sports League functioning in 5 Divisions:

The longer serving of two co-Presidents has now moved on to become Past President.

Remaining President sent out notices of a Board mtg (date was mentioned at previous mtg) to only those she thought were still on Board, (1) omitting some who were in the middle of two year terms (ie each Divisional VP) and (2) including some whose two term was over at previous annual League mtg & who needed a 2/3rd affirmative League vote to continue for another two year term.

A 40% quorum (per ByLaws) was calculated as OK including all those positions, under the assumption that all Board members were invited to attend.

This situation was not noticed until after two such winter 'Board" Meetings.

Please note: Secretary is being replaced as often unable to turn up at meetings & has trouble preparing Minutes and in the meantime I am trying to help out.

What is the status of any votes taken at the two meetings?

What is the status of Minutes from previous meeting "approved" at the two such meetings?

As President may appoint to the Board for any unfilled position for any remaining term, would that suffice to validate the Board positions marked (2) until a League Meeting can take place when a vote can be taken?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Sports League functioning in 5 Divisions:

The longer serving of two co-Presidents has now moved on to become Past President.

Remaining President sent out notices of a Board mtg (date was mentioned at previous mtg) to only those she thought were still on Board, (1) omitting some who were in the middle of two year terms (ie each Divisional VP) and (2) including some whose two term was over at previous annual League mtg & who needed a 2/3rd affirmative League vote to continue for another two year term.

A 40% quorum (per ByLaws) was calculated as OK including all those positions, under the assumption that all Board members were invited to attend.

This situation was not noticed until after two such winter 'Board" Meetings.

Please note: Secretary is being replaced as often unable to turn up at meetings & has trouble preparing Minutes and in the meantime I am trying to help out.

What is the status of any votes taken at the two meetings?

What is the status of Minutes from previous meeting "approved" at the two such meetings?

As President may appoint to the Board for any unfilled position for any remaining term, would that suffice to validate the Board positions marked (2) until a League Meeting can take place when a vote can be taken?

Thanks for any help or insight.

Okay, let me see if I have this right. Are you saying two board meetings were held without notice being sent to all board members?

Were these meetings scheduled in the bylaws, or by the adoption of a motion at the previous board meeting, or by an officer who is authorized by the bylaws to call special meetings?

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies, I was not able to get back to you til now.

Board meetings were called by Board President who can call the meetings under our Bylaws. But date, time & place was only notified to some members of the Board under mistaken impression that other Board members terms of office had ceased (they were in fact in middle of two year terms).

The Board meetings are normally mentioned at prior meeting (these members did not attend) and then an email notice is sent nearer to the date.

There is no formal schedule of Board meetings for the year.

Archived